A great deal on a new vehicle will only stay great if the operating costs remain competitive, and the resale value is strong at trade-in time. A new report from Kelley Blue Book examines the latter.
KBB recently ranked vehicles on resale value, and awarded top honors to the best 10.
The company’s annual Best Resale Value Awards recognizes vehicles for their projected retained value through the initial five-year ownership period.
In general, trucks and SUVs dominate in this category. Vehicles in these categories simply hold onto their value due to ever rising demand. But all are not equal in this respect.
Toyota earns top honors for Best Resale Value Brand, a designation it last received in 2014, claiming four 2017 model-year winners.
Porsche captures the Best Resale Value Luxury Brand title for the first time ever with three model winners.
Other notable automakers among the list of 2017 Best Resale Value Award winners in 22 different categories include General Motors with an impressive seven models taking honors for its Chevrolet and GMC brands, Honda with four model winners, and Subaru, last year’s best brand winner, with four 2017 Best Resale Value Award wins.
Lexus, last year’s best luxury brand award winner, has four models winning this year’s awards and is the only other luxury brand on the list in addition to Porsche.
Here are the winners:
2017 Best Resale Value: by Vehicle Category
- Subcompact Car: Honda Fit
- Electric Vehicle: Chevrolet Bolt EV
- Compact Car: Subaru Impreza
- Subcompact SUV/Crossover: Honda HR-V
- Sporty Compact Car: Subaru WRX
- Compact SUV/Crossover: Jeep Wrangler
- Mid-Size Car: Subaru Legacy
- Mid-Size SUV/Crossover: Toyota 4Runner
- Full-Size Car: Nissan Maxima
- Full-Size SUV/Crossover: Chevrolet Suburban
- Entry-Level Luxury Car: Lexus RC
- Luxury Compact SUV/Crossover: Porsche Macan
- Luxury Car: Lexus GS
- Luxury Mid-Size SUV/Crossover: Lexus RX
- High-End Luxury Car: Porsche Panamera
- Luxury Full-Size SUV/Crossover: Lexus LX
- Sports Car: Porsche 718 Cayman
- Mid-Size Pickup Truck: Toyota Tacoma
- High Performance Car: Ford Mustang Shelby
- Full-Size Pickup Truck: Chevrolet Silverado HD
- Hybrid/Alternative Energy Car: Honda Accord
- Hybrid Minivan: Toyota Sienna 2017
Best Resale Value: Top 10 Cars
- Chevrolet Colorado
- Jeep Wrangler
- Chevrolet Silverado
- Subaru WRX
- GMC Canyon
- Toyota 4Runner
- GMC Sierra
- Toyota Tacoma
- Honda Ridgeline
- Toyota Tundra
Find out more on the Kelley Blue Book website.
Are you planning to buy your next vehicle soon? Scott Credit Union offers competitive rates and flexible terms. Learn more.